Saturday, June 11, 2016

Task 3.3 Pitfalls with Learner Engagement

As part of my digital technologies program, I had introduced Scratch to the year 7’s and 8’s. I had uploaded the necessary videos and resources on the school network for the students to follow and complete the same exercise themselves.

When I tried this with the year 7’s I had shown them how to access both Scratch and the learning resources required. In one class I found it interesting that they watched the videos with great intensity, however, I must not have been very clear with them about how to use the video and create at the same time as many were unsure what to do once they had watched the video. I had to slap myself on the hand at expecting students to somehow know.

I found the year 8’s were able to multitask a whole lot easier, although I noted there were a small group of boys who would go through the process and complete the activities yet when I provided them with a task that used the previous learning they struggled with doing the basics. At the time, I recognised that they had not engaged with the material enough to apply it to new contexts. What I also found interesting with these boys was when I posed questions back about which videos we could review to help us with the given task they were unable to do this independently. Yet, I know that if I had said to them to find a Scatch game to analyse they wouldn’t need my help or guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment