Saturday, June 11, 2016

Task 2.1 - The Key Aspect

If I have to propose a stand to one of the aspects I choose Active. Whilst I agree that all aspects of Howland, Jonassen and Marra (2011) are important and link so well with each other. I feel that without active participation from the learner then I feel the rest falls beyond meaningful learning.

In my view, active learning falls beyond the physical movements that can be seen. As a learner, I choose if I am going to engage in the learning process (whether that is on a physical level or on a cognitive level). When I do, then I am an active learner I have put myself in a position to learn.

I can definitely see that if I don't see the learning has value then I am less likely to actively participate within the learning process and maybe I miss out on learning opportunities.

I also see that in the classroom, especially when teaching "Scratch" or "Kodu". There is an intentional goal (to learn how to make your own game), collaborative/cooperative learning (learning with and from others is encouraged), it can be constructive (each idea builds to create the coherent whole and without thinking about how things link together it doesn't make sense), you can apply it to an authentic context (as the game created can be played by/with friends). However, even when some learners go through the motions (ie, complete tasks) if they do not actively apply themselves to the learning then they don't get the "learning". Which is seen when students get to the point where they should have the skills to create their own game yet are lacking skills to do so.

Reflecting on Howland, Jonassen and Marra (2011)'s reading the students appear to have missed "observing the effects of their interventions and constructing their own interpretations of the phenomena and the results of their manipulations" Which one could easily say the learners have not reflected on their activity and observations which fits with "constructive".

Hmm.. one thinks one could keep going around in circles because whilst the students went through the motion of doing the task (which fits within the active component) I find that without cognitive engagement through observing what you do and the effects (i.e. It can be difficult to learn to programme without "doing it yourself") then have the learned anything?

Reflecting on this further:

Ok.. I want to learn to plaster Gib (very relevant and my partner wants at least a level four finish)

So, therefore, I have an Intentional goal in an Authentic context. I can learn from others (YouTube, people I know, bloggers, home improvement sites, etc) which fits within the Cooperative aspect. I can reflect on the advice given, take on board all sorts of helpful hints I ensure I have all the tools requires and "see it it my head".

From this one could be considered an expert. I have learned something that is going to help me finish my house/rooms??? Wrong!!! It isn't until you actively do the task (in this case physically put plaster and tape on the Gib) do you realise what you do and don't know. Through the observations of my actions and whether the paper tape actually is adhered properly and you can't see it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment