Saturday, June 11, 2016

Task 1.4 Revolution/Evolution/Status quo

Teaching is an ever-evolving process. I do not think that it is possible to stay stagnant. My journey as a teacher changes with each person I meet, each reading I read, and through critical self-reflection. As Sfard (2015) points out there is a difference between acquiring knowledge and participation in developing knowledge. If I consider what type of teacher I was when I started teaching 10 years ago and where I am now there are considerable differences. Where eLearning is concerned, it is no different. I have always seen that digital technologies has the potential to engage students in ways that allow the students to take personal responsibility for their own learning. In saying that, there is so much to learn about the most effective ways to integrate digital technologies into the classroom context within compulsory education for the benefit of the learners and their achievement. Therefore, I tend to lean towards evolution within the realms of adopting eLearning as part of my classroom practice.


Howland, Jonassen, & Marra's (2012) reading reiterates my thoughts about technology is only a tool for students to use. In saying that, their point about learning with versus learning from technology struck a chord (Howland et al., 2012). Has my classroom program encouraged learning with technology? Upon reflection there are parts that I can confidently reply yes, others well, there is room for significant improvement. The ultimate goal as a teacher is to have personally responsible, actively engaged learners who active at their highest ability, no matter their given starting point. There are challenges and one wonders if this is because of the difference between teaching years 7-10 and the constraints of NCEA assessment at senior level or is that my perspective? I now can see another approach for at least one of the Digital Technologies Achievement Standards and maybe I can provide the “meaningful learning” as described by Howland et al. (2012) by utilising ideas from both Howland et al. (2012) and McLoughlin & Lee (2008) starting with implementing more of a constructivist approach to the program.

Learning is considered to be a life long journey and as such I am always learning, this course is part of my learning process. The rapid expansion of digital content and digital tools impacts on both my personal and professional life, and one would hope, hopefully for the better. The incorporation of digital technologies into the classroom program requires careful consideration in order to achieve maximum benefit. To me, there is much more to learn. After all, the purpose of education is to develop our learners into confident, independent learners ready for the 21st Century. I have never been one to think I hold all the knowledge and students must learn from me. To me, learning is a journey and I am able to learn with and from the students I have in my charge. The ultimate goal of a teacher is to enrich the lives and ideas of our learners and integrating digital technologies provides a does provide a gateway to achieving that goal if implemented with the needs of the learners in mind. We do need to remember it is just a tool and without employing the right pedagogy the novelty of implementing eLearning has no additional benefit for the learner. Which is why I believe that adopting eLearning into my classroom my pedagogical practice is always evolving.



Howland, J. L., Jonassen, D., & Marra, R. M. (2012). Meaningful learning with technology (4th ed., pp. 1–19). Boston, MA: Person Education, Inc.

McLoughlin, C., & Lee, M. J. W. (2008). The three P’s of pedagogy for the networked society : Personalisation , participation, and productivity. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(1), 10–27.

Sfard, A. (2015). On Two Metaphors for Learning and the Dangers of Choosing Just One. Educational Researcher, 25(4), 4–13.

No comments:

Post a Comment