Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Pratt (1998) Reading: Alternative frames for understanding

Views on Teaching

Pratt, D., & Associates. (1998). Alternative frames of understanding. In Five Perspectives on teaching in adult and higher education (pp. 33-53). Malabar, FL: Kreiger.

"That is, we can learn about a different perspective, as opposed to committing to a different perspective"

Interesting, something that I have always thought about. Like the "agree to disagree"

"Most people find ways to confirm what they already believe rather than change the more central beliefs about teaching"

Watch that happen a lot.  Have also caught myself doing that at times (and possibly do it more without realising).  Perspectives are an interesting concept.  There are always ways to improve but one has to be open to it.

Five perspectives on teaching

  1. Transmission Perspective
  2. Apprenticeship Perspective
  3. Developmental Perspective
  4. Nurturing Perspective
  5. Social Reform Perspective
I know my teaching has been effective when:
  1. My students are excited about coming to class
  2. My students are learning new things
  3. My students are making progress in their learning
  4. My students are able to take what they have learned and apply it to new contexts
  5. My students attend to their learning tasks
  6. My students confidence in their abilities grows
  7. There are limited behavioural issues to attend to (because the learning is the focus)
  8. My students are happy to discuss their learning outside of class
  9. My students "teach" others
  10. ??????

Transmission Perspective: Delivering Content
The primary focus is on the efficient and accurate delivery of that body of knowledge to the learners. "Jug and Mug theory" teacher-centred
It is not ineffective when applied correctly

Apprenticeship Perspective: Modeling ways of Being
Teaching is the process of enculturating learners into a specific community.
Like normal apprenticeships! learner-centred. The teacher and content are fused as one, signifying the inseparability of the teacher and content, withing the context. 

Developmental Perspective: Cultivating ways of Thinking
Learning view derived from cognitive psychology. making connections with prior learning and altering the schema to adjust to new experiences through cognitive thought. Construct and reconstruct knowledge, skills and understandings. Thinking and problem solving.  Teacher role is to help learners think like experts.

Nurturing Perspective: Facilitating Personal Agency
Belief that learning is most affected by a learner's self-concept and self-efficiency. Empathising with students while providing support and encouragement as they attempt to learn.  The goal is to help people become more confident and self-sufficient. Belief that learners must not only be successful, but they must attribute their success to their effort and ability.

Social Reform

From a social reform point of view, learning is about the collective rather than the individual. It involves challenging the values and ideologies embedded into classroom practices and contexts. Students are encouraged to take a critical stance and take social action to not only improve their own lives but those of others.

Where do I fit?


According to the TPI I am strong in the developing and nurturing aspects and if you asked a few colleagues of mine they would tend to agree.  What this also identifies is my weakness in developing social reform.  I do tend to agree with this analysis.  It shows me areas that I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment